The History of Bounty Paper Towels
In 1957, Procter & Gamble acquired Green Bay, Wisconsin-based tissue maker Charmin®, its first consumer-paper products business. One product in particular, Charmin Towels, was a single-ply towel that was engineered using a conventional papermaking process.
P&G recognized the growing demand for paper towels and began a decade of research, experimentation, and ultimately, innovation.
At the time, most paper towel brands were either promoting their “strength” or their “softness.” Through research—mostly interviews —P&G discovered that what consumers really cared about was “absorbency.”
With this new insight, and others, Bounty replaced Charmin Towels in the fall of 1965, and introduced a new 2-ply towel that was thicker, softer, and more absorbent than any other on the market.